Peanut-Kaffir Lime Sauce
This is part of Chiang Mai Tofu Grill from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook. It’s really good on its own, though, and would probably fit well on wide noodles, with broccoli, etc.
This is a really strong sauce, which improves with age.
- 0.5 can coconut milk (careful! This stuff ‘'’will’’’ knock you out)
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (these are available at thai markets)
- 2 T minced ginger
- 1/3 C smooth peanut butter
- 1 t soy sauce
- 1/8 t red curry paste
- 0.5 oz palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 t lime juice
- 0.25 t salt
- 0.25 t sriracha
- 2 T hot water
- heat coconut milk, lime, and ginger over low heat
- remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 hour
- re-heat and combine remaining ingredients
- simmer, season, and thin if necessary
I made this recipe and used it immediately, and was overwhelmed by the the coconut milk. I refrigerated it (it solidified) and then reheated it the next day, and the flavors are perfectly balanced. Word to the wise.