Quinoa-stuffed Acorn Squash
I have a hard time liking squash, for some reason. But this recipe adds some other interesting flavors. It’s from Irma S. Rombauer’s Joy of Cooking.
- 3 acorn squash
- 1 T butter
- 0.5 C chopped onions
- 0.5 C quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 C stock
- salt, pepper
- 0.25 C chopped nuts (Irma recommends hazelnuts or toasted almonds; I used walnuts)
- 2 T fresh parsely
- 4 T parmesan cheese
- Bake halved acorn squash cut-down in a pan of water at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, until soft. Allow to cool (but leave the oven on).
- Sautee the onions briefly in the butter, then add the quinoa and stir until slightly toasted.
- Add the stock, boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the meat of two halves of squash.
- Season remaining squash with salt and pepper.
- Combine quinoa and squash with nuts, parsely, and half of the cheese.
- Spoon mixture into squash halves, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and bake until heated through (about 20m).