Mushroom and Three Cheese Strata
This is from Epicurious, although I can’t find it there now.
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 lb various mushrooms (some shiitake), stemmed and sliced
- 8 C white bread, coarsely shredded
- 2.25 C whole milk
- 1.5 C half-and-half
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 C chopped chives or green onion tops
- 2 T chopped fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5 t salt
- 3/4 t pepper
- 9 oz soft goat cheese
- 1.5 C parmesean cheese
- 1 C fontina
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute mushrooms until tender, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Combine bread and milk; let stand until absorbed, about 15m
- Whisk half-and-half, eggs, chives, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir in goat cheese.
- Layer half each of bread, mushrooms, parmesean, fontina, and half-and-half into buttered baking dish; repeat with remaining half
- (can cover and refrigerate if necessary)
- Bake about 1 hour