Creamy Irish Potato Soup
This is adapted from this site
- 2 T butter
- 4 green onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 C veggie Broth
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1.5 C sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 C milk
- Sautee the onions and celery in the butter until tender.
- Add broth, pepper, Guinness and potatoes; boil and simmer until potatoes are tender. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Blend with the cheese and milk – this should be done in parts with a stand blender.
I made this one up as I went along the first time, and ended up with way too much potato. Of the three balanced flavors here – beer, potato, and cheese – the first two can occur in basically any ratio, and complement each other well. Just be conservative with the cheese, lest the soup end up tasting like liquid cheddar.