This is my mother’s scone recipe. She has a fancy scone cooker which provides an even, consistent heat. This recipe is more difficult, but still workable, on a regular cast iron skillet.
- 2 C flour
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1.5 t baking powder
- .5 t baking soda
- .25 t salt
- 6 T butter, chilled
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1.5 t vanilla
- 2/3 cups currants or raisins (optional)
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Mix buttermilk, egg, and vanilla and add to the flour mixture.
- Add currants if desired.
- Pat dough into a circle and cut into wedges
- place on skillet, flip when browned.