Recipe:African Yam and Peanut Soup
This is a great soup from the rebar modern food cookbook -- the peanut and yam are just wonderful together. This makes an enormous quantity of soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, it will also likely make an enormous mess. You have been warned.
- 8 C veggie stock
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 T minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T cumin
- 2 T coriander
- 1/2 t cayenne
- 1 t paprika
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 chopped yams
- 1 can pineapple, with juice
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 5 T peanut butter
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes' juice
- hot sauce (we use sriracha hot chili sauce, available in chinese and indian grocery stores)
- Warm the stock
- Sautee the onion and some salt, until translucent
- Add garlic, ginger, and spices, and sautee until soft
- Add red pepper, yams, and more sal until things start to stick.
- Add enough stock to cover, boil, and simmer until the yams are soft.
- Add the pineapple with the juice, tomatoes, PB, and the rest of the stock and simmer for 30 minutes
- Puree until smooth.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce to taste before serving.